List of Open Positions
Research Scientist in Land Modeling
We are seeking a Research Scientist to develop, test, and implement components of a land model that automatically learns from space-based and ground-based data. As a CliMA Research Scientist at Caltech, you will collaborate with a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team of curious and creative scientists and engineers, spanning Caltech and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, to create a land model suitable for use in Earth System Models (ESMs).
You will advance the state of knowledge and contribute to the development of a data-informed land model in one or more of several possible ways:
- Using your expertise in snow physics, surface and subsurface hydrology, physics, and/or other terrestrial processes to develop models of appropriate complexity for use with an ESM.
- Developing physically informed parameterizations of snow, soil, and biosphere processes that are suitable for data assimilation/machine learning approaches, including models for snow, rivers and surface water, and plant canopies.
- Implementing new and existing models within the CliMA code base, writing integration tests, carrying out suitable benchmarks for validation of these models, and working with software engineers to make this code performant.
- Carrying out original research using the CliMA land model.
As qualifications, you are required to have:
- Completed an undergraduate or graduate degree in a field of science, mathematics, or engineering.
- At least four years experience working with and/or modeling data.
- A strong physical, statistical, or computational background.
- At least four years programming experience in at least one general purpose language.
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in terrestrial ecosystem modeling, hydrology, or a related field.
- Experience and comfort with having ownership of a project.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- One-page statement of research interests.
- Three letters of recommendation. Confidential letters of recommendation should be emailed to email@example.com. Emails should include the applicant’s name and the position title, Research Scientist.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.